Wednesday, September 28, 2005

ACA Meeting


So one of me assignments for my Family Dynamics class is to attend 4 group meetings. The meetings can be one of the following four: ACA (adult children of Alcoholics), CODA (Co-dependents Anonymous) Al-Anon (Family members or friends are alcholics) or Nar-Anon (family members or friends with a drug addiction). So for my first meeting I decided to go to the ACA meeting even though I do not have alcoholic parents, most meetings are "open" meaning anyone can attend. So I figured I would just go to this meeting sit in the back and observe so I could write my one page paper on "how it made me feel" ha ha ha. So thanks to work, the only meeting I could get to was in Long Beach....oh the LBC....for those of you who don't know this city...don't let the word "Beach" throw you off. It has some interesting neighborhoods. So the meeting was at 10am...of course I got there a little early since I didn't know how long it would take to get there. I sat in my car until about 5 til. Then I went inside, it was heald at the MWA club (I have no idea what that stands for). So I walk into this place and there in front of me is a giant bar...stools and all....only the bartender is serving things like soda, popcorn and lots of chocolate. Then I look to the right and see a rather large man glued to a video poker machine. I thought this a little strange considering I was at a place where they hold meetings for all kinds of addictions....but Im sure he wasn't going to the gamblers anonymous meeting. So anyway, I actually was interested in this fellow and his video poker so I went and chatted with him for a bit as I tried to figure out where to go next. There were people standing around...smoking and chatting so I figured they were going to the meeting as well. Oh and by the way I hardly stood out in this place I mean you couldn't tell me apart from the lady on the patio wearing the tore up jeans with the giant mickie mouse tee-shirt and the 80s hairstyle with the cowboy boots. Ok so I finally asked mr. video poker if he knew where the meeting was heald since I hadn't heard any announcement of a meeting starting and everyone remained where they were when I arrived. (by this time it was a little after 10am). He didn't know so I went back to the front where I had seen a man with an MWA club shirt on. He didn't know either but said that the "bartneder" would. So I asked him and he proceeded to shower me with pamphlets and guidebooks and all sorts of information. Finally I asked him if I could go to the meeting NOW. He was a little suprised with my urgency but agreed to take me back. So we go out to the patio and he tells me its right in this next room. So I go around the corner and into the room to find 1...I repeat...1 person in the room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and its the group mediator!!!!!! I almost peed. So I was like "oh....big meeting today" and he then started telling me how everyone had been busy lately and it would probably just be him and I with one other. At this point I didn't want to tell him I was an imposter because this was my last chance to complete the assignment and I wasn't sure if this was actually an open meeting. So I sat down and actually 4 more people did show up so I was a little relieved. Although when it came to sharing time I will admit I was a little sweaty but at the last minute I decided I better just pass since anything I might say could possibly be made up. So the meeting went rather smooth and was a pretty good experience afterall. When it was over I darted to my car so I could avoid any questions. Needless to say I think I will try a different meeting next time.

2 Comments:

At 4:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the group-therepy scene in Fight Club, "when you dont say anything, people always assume the worst."

 
At 3:36 AM , Blogger Chris Steele said...

That is HILARIOUS! I see we share the same story-telling flair as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home