
Well the day has finally come for Hershey. My mom had to put her to sleep a couple of days ago due to some bladder issues, which could be result of some kidney failure. Its been going on for a while but we just couldn't bring ourselves to get rid of her. I got her when she was just a few weeks short of the normal age you take dogs from their mothers. She was already eating dry food and the owner was anxious to get rid of these hyper dalmation/lab mixes. I still remember the day we got her as I was walking home from the bus stop in 8th grade and as I rounded the corner she was sitting in the front yard with my mom and a very large tennis ball. That night I had her in a box next to my bed but hours later she woke up crying until I put her in my bed. When she fell asleep I put her back in the box only to find her crying again when she woke up until she was with me. From that night until I left for college almost 5 years later she slept in my bed. And when I say in, it usually means in. During the winters she was under the covers at my feet...Definitely a California born dog.


Hershey definitely had personality. She was a smart dog. From knowing what it means when I ask her to "get the bug" or "do you want to go for a walk?" or even "where's Cindy?" well, I didn't ask her that one but if anyone else did she would recklessly search the house until she found me.

She definitely also had her annoying dog moments. Like running away as if it were a game as I am late for work. Or knocking over trash cans and spreading them all over my room. Or barking the entire time the mail man is on the street. But she was also the first to give you those eyes and tuck that tail when she knew she had messed up. Then there was her failing bladder. Thank goodness she was our princess dog and would only sleep on blankets because in recent months it has come to the point where she has no control and everytime she sleeps she pees.

I don't think I will ever find another dog like her. It was a fun 10+ years and I will definitely miss her.

Dogs are definitely my favorite animals. Never a dull moment. No matter how many times you have left and returned in a day they are always there to greet you as if you are the prodigal son. They sense sadness and know when to be gentle with a child.
4 Comments:
Great article Cindy. I should have just let you post this and not me!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
oh! so sad. but such a nice eulogy.
I'm very sorry for your loss.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home