Crazy Phone Call
So for the last week or two I have been getting calls from a number in Florida. I have never answered it because I usually just don't if I don't know who it is and they never left a message so I figured I didn't know the person. Well then Friday night I got a call from the number around 10pm so I answered thinking perhaps it was possible that I knew them. Well I was wrong it was a girl claiming to be from a credit card company. She told me I was selected to receive $500 in free stuff just for proving that I had an active checking account. Before I knew it she was rattling off my California address and asking if that was correct. Before thinking I began to give her my new address. She was very nice and told me my stuff would be on its way if we could just verify my checking account. She asked where I banked and I told her BB & T. Once I retrieved my check book she gave me the routing number and asked if it was correct. I told her it was and that was followed by a few seconds of silence. It was at this time that I realized she was waiting for me to read the next series of numbers. As it clicked what was going on I said "wait...you want me to give you my checking account number?" and she was like "yeah." I was like "no way ha ha sorry Ill pass on the free stuff." suddenly she became almost desperate as she tried to convince me that anyone could get their hands on my checking account number. That I probably wrote checks to the grocery store ect all the time (which I don't). I told her that was different because I trusted those places. She then asked what the problem was and started going off about the free gifts and how every girl needs to shop. blah blah blah. I didn't exactly want to make her angry since she had my address now so I was trying to get her off the phone. I told her when she called back I would give her my answer. She then said that her automated system picked places randomly and she didn't know if it would call me again. I said "well, you have been calling me all week!" and she was like "ahhh ahhh ahhh...." I said can I reach you at the number you called me from? she said yes to which I replied, "I will call you back if I want to give you my checking account number" she then said "fine" and hung up!
The best part is that she called back the very next day while I was at work!!!!!! how dense can you be? Some people amaze me. Anyway just wanted to share that and remind you to be careful there are a lot of stupid crazy people out there!

3 Comments:
Remember to go to the bank tomorrow to make sure, and thanks for the reminder. Never give out your SS number on line or over the phone and never give out your check numbers! good job Cindy.
Yikes, I hate those calls. I almost fell for a scammer when we were selling the BMW.
It's not crazy, it's identity theft. You need to call the police and report what happened. You've got the phone number, you need to report that criminal.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home