Saturday, April 22, 2006

Random Thoughts:

Today at work I realized I am begining to suffer from Workitis....its just like Senioritis only with work. Like senior year of high school when you are already accecpted into a college and know exactly what your doing next. So there is no need to do homework and its often necessary to skip class. That's me...only with work. I have just 39 days left at Fridays...in about 46 days I will be in Brazil....in 74 days I will be in Mexico and about 104 days I will be meeting my new niece and hanging out with Jon and Chris....I have workitis. It doesn't go so far that I need to call in or anything like that...more like I get to work and just don't want to do anything but wander around and talk to employees. Not like I didn't do this before but its just more extreme now. This is actually what the ideal manager should do...delegate and stand around. Never been the case at our Fridays (especially since we started from scratch).

Fridays at Fridays have proven week after week to produce at least one crazy person, or crazy incident....last friday night was no exception. I arrived at work about 3pm for our managers meeting (which was cancelled because the GM went home sick...thanks for calling us Tim and telling us to come in at the normal 4pm time). I always go to the bar first and check in with the bartenders and see how things are going. I noticed a lady sittnig on one side by herself nursing a long island but didnt think much of it. Since our meeting was cancelled I began to stock liquor and get ready for my weekly inventory, which would be Sunday. I was in the back when one of the bartenders comes in saying there was a crazy lady at the bar. He asked her if she needed anything and she responded frantically saying "what...why...do i look like i do..whats wrong....oh no i am ok......" He also noticed that the cell phone she was talking on....had a dead battery. I was immediatly filled with joy and went to check out the scene. As I get to the bar she is now asking a bartender if he has seen her child...by the way its 5pm now. Unfortunatly the bartender hadn't seen her daughter as she came in alone a few hours eariler. I approched her and asked what her daughter looked like and she had last seen her. As she looked in my direction it all became clear from the vacant, foggy, lifeless eyes....we had a crackhead. Funny but true. I told her I would call security from the office...she followed me almost in...I turned and told her she needed to wait in the resturant. She said "well can't I use the bathroom" I said sure and pointed her to it. I went in the office and told Meghan the story....she told me "send her to information tell her they have a lost and found there." A rather clever idea...wish I would have thought of that. So when the lady came out of the bathroom asking about her daughter I told her where to find lost and found (I figured my mom would love this). Well unfortunatly she wouldnt have it. So I kinda walked away to ask Meghan for a new plan. Then a server runs in the office and explains she is on the move! I grab a pan and broom pretending to sweep while I follow her through the resturant to make sure she isnt disturbing anyone. She makes the loop and then sees Pedram. She asks him about her daughter...I am behind her...the lady tells him the last time she saw her they were eating here together...the whole time I am shaking my head NO! and mouthing "crackhead" but he didn't catch it and called security. It worked out though because she kept roaming and looking for her daughter...and our bartenders....thinking we could be in the movie Flightplan with Jodie Foster...helped her look. Security escorted her away and were not sure what ever happened. Oh by the way she only had one drink from our bar....she said her daughter was 6...and that her daughter had been in Knott's but not her.

I have decided Fridays has really messed me up:
I feel like everyday is Friday and in this business that isnt a good thing. I no longer look forward to the weekends like I did when I was a full time student.
Because I work nights I can't get to sleep before 2am. When I set my alarm to wake up early it is for 11am. On Sundays, the day of rest, I let myself sleep in until 12:15pm and don't go running.
Getting off early still involves an 8 hour shift.

Why did it rain tonight? for goodness sakes...I am sorry to those of you in places where its supposed to rain in April....but this is California!!!! I just washed my car!

6 Comments:

At 5:40 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

Meghan is sooo grounded. And she will be around long after you are gone! However she would have fit into our crowd and given us some excitement for the night.

 
At 1:59 PM , Blogger Chris Steele said...

I have workitis, too--only 21 more school days.
About the crackhead, that story is awesome. My favorite is how nearly the entire restaurant was in on it.
Why did it rain? BECAUSE you washed your car. Just like it rained here the day after Jon watered the backyard for an hour.

 
At 2:01 PM , Blogger Chris Steele said...

Oh, and it freaks me out when you put the weeks/months in acutal numbers like that...like I'm due in 84 days!!!

 
At 12:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY I cant wait!

 
At 8:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Cindy!! just thought i should say hi.

 
At 11:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

could you tell me how to get a hold of this Pedram guy?? e-mail me if you can... blueyes_kes062hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home