Monday, May 22, 2006

Excited for the future

Last night we were having some problems with a particular employee. Since I am the favorite manager and the one everyone feels they can talk to I usually hear all the rumors or stories about what is going on with everyone. Well with this employee I heard a month ago that his parents had kicked him out of the house for hitting his brother (at age 17) and he had lived on the streets (in hotels when he had money) for 2 weeks before they let him back in. Well last night he disappeared for a couple of hours and was late so after Meghan and I got his story we sent him home. He then went in the back and was waiting for his cousin for some reason. Well at this point Meghan and I decided we needed to talk to him about life. So I took him out back in the parking lot and ended up chatting with him for 45min about his life and struggles. He has had a really hard home life with parents who could never understand nor try to understand what he is going through. He was into hardcore drugs but says he hasn't used in the last month. So during our conversation he tearfully told me all about growing up and how his dad used to beat him until he was bloody. Right now he is at the point where is wants to get his life together but has all odds against him. He has 5 tickets including 1 DUI and a possession of Marijuana. He pays off all these tickets with every pay check he gets to the point where basically the only clothes he has consist of his fridays uniform. Apparently he has a court date to decide whether he will go to jail for all these tickets (he must have missed some payments) in the next couple of weeks. I guess if he is found guilty he will go which will stop him from graduating high school (he is on some sort of a homestudies program that he will be done with in a couple of months...probably not a good idea to homeschool your kids if you dont care if they go or not). Also if he goes to jail he could lose his job which he only got (due to his record) because his uncle is our kitchen manager. He is exactly the kind of kid I can't wait to help. Meghan and I are getting him some phone numbers to some counseling centers and rehab centers and also getting him more hours at Jonny Rockets at Knott's. Its kinda the only thing we can do in our position which is frusturating. (Meghan is ready to adopt him haha). So basically this kid needs our prayer. His name is Jose. Also pray that I can continue to encourage him over the next week that I have left at work.

3 Comments:

At 8:06 PM , Blogger Joanne said...

Now I understand why you want to do what you want to do. I will be praying for you and him.

 
At 3:36 AM , Blogger Chris Steele said...

Wow, that is a sad situation for him. I'm glad that you're there to be such a great resource for him. I really hope some things work out for him (tell him to just take the GED and get it over with! :) ).

 
At 9:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great team you two are... So glad you are back together in the same place!
Christy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home