Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Back from Brazil

I am back from Brazil! ok ok I have been back for a few days now but I just didnt know where to start after 3 full weeks blogable things going on. So I guess Ill start at the begining and over the next few days try and piece together this amazing adventure I was on. I was in Canada for a few days before the rest of the girls arrived with the two girls in the picture. Julie is on the left, she coordinated this tour and I have known her since my first AIA adventure all those years ago. Sarah is on the left and we were on Soccer Project in Canada for 8 weeks and then both went to Ireland together after that. It was a much needed reunion. A few days later our group arrived and two days later we were headed to Brazil after just 2 practices with our team. From Vancouver, BC we flew the 5 hour flight to Toronto, Ontario where we had around a 6 hour layover. From here we flew the 10.5 hours to Sao Paulo, Brazil. Our first destination was Santos, a city on the coast around 4 hours from the airport. Well as most of you heard we didn't quite make it in that time. We were on a very windy downhill road when our bus driver realized we had no breaks. As he looked at the road ahead he saw two choices, either drive head on into the guardrail, which would for sure stop the bus but possibly injure a lot of people, or he could try and drive the bus against the guard rail hoping it would slow enough so that we wouldnt go over the upcoming cliff. He picked the latter (no one knew what was going on) but as we were scraping against the rail we were not loosing nearly enough speed. Then last minute a semi hit us from the right. This was just enough to stop the bus and save us from...well probably going over the cliff.



In this picture you can see the road ahead and where we would have been headed had we not stopped. We got to use the emergency exit! and the driver told us to make sure we had cameras out! We were stranded on the road for a total of 5 hours before getting picked up and riding the next 45min to Santos. Definatly not the way we expected to start tour but I guess God does that sometimes to show us his power and teach us to trust.

3 Comments:

At 6:36 PM , Blogger cacfus said...

Woah Cinders! So glad you are ok. What is Sarah's last name? She looks exactly like my elementary school BFF Sarah Freeman...

Christy

 
At 10:07 AM , Blogger Cindy Fleischhauer said...

Ohhh...her last name is schmidt...she is from Colorado then Ohio.

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger Chris Steele said...

Dude, you can't have two people on your left in the top picture. I think Julie's on the right.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home